Want to Save Money on Your AC?
Looking for cost-effective and reliable ways to save money while getting the most from your AC unit? Typically, air conditioners use more electricity than any other appliance and often, electric bills are much higher for those who are living in warmer regions. One way to save money is to run your AC unit less often or to set the temperature one or two degrees higher when you do run it. But if that isn’t an option in the sweltering heat of a Tampa summer, there are still plenty of other things you can do to save money while still staying cool.
Tips on How to Save Money and to Maximize the use of Your AC Unit
- Clean the air filter – your AC unit works harder if your air filter is clogged. Remember that the harder your AC unit works, the more money it will cost you. So make sure that you clean your air filter every other week.
- Use your ductless AC unit only if you are inside the room – if you are proud owner of a mini split or a zoning system, you have the option of cooling only a portion of your home. Why cool the kitchen while you’re in the bedroom? Cooling only the rooms you are using saves you money!
- Purchase appropriate AC size – you don’t need to buy an oversized AC – just because it is bigger doesn’t mean it will cool your home better. In fact, having an AC that is too large is inefficient and a waste of money. Remember that bigger AC units consume more energy and smaller units constantly work to keep a large room cool. So, if you really want to save money, make sure that you buy the appropriately sized unit for your home’s size and needs.
- Block direct sunlight using blinds or window shades – putting blinds and window shades up helps to keep the heat out and keeps your house cooler.
- Close your windows as well as doors – if you are going to use your AC unit, make sure that all outside doors and windows are closed so that cold air stays in and warm outside air stays outside where it belongs.