As people are becoming more aware of the climate change, they are doing everything they can to reduce their carbon footprint and be energy efficient. It starts with the little things such as reducing waste, recycling and using energy in a proper manner. Improving energy efficiency however, is a bit of a tricky task yet easy thing once you get the hang of it.
How to Reduce Home Energy Costs:
One of the easiest ways to reduce your energy costs is by having a programmable thermostat. Not only will you be saving on energy bills but also have a comfortable environment in your home. You won’t have to be too hot in the summers or too cold in the winters for that. All it takes is the right thermostat setting.
Do you know that having the right settings on your thermostat can save you up to 15-20% on your energy costs annually? Well now you do! Programmable thermostats have already been pre-programmed by the manufacturer but you can change or adjust their settings according to your needs. Since everyone has a different schedule these days so each household’s thermostat settings can vary. A typical programmable thermostat’s settings depends on the sleeping, waking, leaving and returning from work of the people at home.
Summer Energy Tips
- Keep the settings of your air conditioner to 78°F on normal days.
- Make sure to program your air conditioner to shut off during the hours you are not home.
- Manually shut off the air conditioner completely if you are going for summer vacations.
Winter Energy Tips
- Keep the settings of your air conditioner to 68°F.
- Lower the temperature up to 15°F if you are sleeping or heading out.
General Energy Tips
- Shut the cooling or heating about half an hour before you leave your house
- Turn the cooling or heating about half an hour before you return home.
- Lower the heat or air conditioning about an hour before you go to bed.
- Raise the heat or air conditioning about an hour before you wake up.
Call ACS Home Services at (813) 213-3537 or contact us online to learn more about how you can improve the energy efficiency of your home!