Top Causes of Electrical Fires
While electricity is rightly considered as the greatest invention of all time by an overwhelming majority of Americans, it can prove to be dangerous, or even lethal, if precautionary measures are not taken at the right time. Electrical fires are a common happening even today and they cause significant property damage and injuries to people of all ages.
But what really causes electrical fires? Mostly, electrical fires are caused by overloading circuits and use of frayed extension cords. But there are certain less obvious reasons as well that may lead to an electrical fire and pose damage to your home and your family members.
In this article, we are listing 3 hidden electrical hazards that might be present in your home. Keep a close watch on these hazards and take necessary measures to eliminate the risk of electrical fires.
Above: Josh Cabrera, owner of ACS Home Services, talks about common culprits behind electrical fires on the Suncoast View.
1. Old Electrical Systems
If your home’s electrical system is more than 30 years old, you should consider replacing it as soon as possible. Old electrical systems were built to manage an electricity load of 30 amps only. However today, most homes receive 100 to 200 amps of power, which may result in tripping of the circuit breakers, causing the homeowner to rely on extension cords –the major culprit behind electrical fires.
2. Misuse of Electronic Appliances
While electronic appliances like refrigerators and dishwashers offer a great deal of convenience in today’s hectic lifestyle, their misuse may lead to increased risk of electrical fires. Appliances that have defected heating elements or that overheat on minimal use may catch fire at any instant. Therefore, it’s recommended that you buy appliances from a reliable manufacturer only and follow the instructions mentioned on the user manual.
3. Dirty Exhaust Fans
Dust buildup on bathroom exhaust fans may result in outbreak of an electrical fire. Since dust acts as a fuel source for fire, it can result in an electrical fire if the fan is malfunctioning or if it’s overheating. Therefore, it is important that regularly clean your exhaust fans and examine them for signs of overheating, such as melting of plastic, burning odor, and discoloration of plastic.
In addition to these three hazards, there are a number of others that you must keep a check on. To do so, you should consider hiring a professional who can conduct a thorough analysis of your home’s electrical system and help you avoid any disasters.
To learn more, contact ACS Home Services online or call (813) 213-3537.