Why is my AC making so much noise?
You might be wondering why your air conditioner is so loud. Air conditioners naturally make noises because these are larger units with various moving parts that are working together to maintain a cool temperature inside your home. However, if you’re beginning to notice unusual or particularly loud noises, this can be a sign of a serious problem that should be investigated as soon as possible.
Common Air Conditioner Sounds & What They Might Mean
Call for service if you hear any of the following types of noises coming from your AC:
- Rattling – A rattling noise means that your AC is getting older and beginning to deteriorate. The sound may be coming from loosening parts, including fans, bolts, and screws. The condenser coils may also need to be cleaned.
- Popping – A popping noise coming from your air conditioner could have a number of causes, from something as innocuous as the expansion and contraction of your ducts with temperature changes to more serious problems like ice buildup on the unit. It’s a good idea to call for service to have the problem diagnosed.
- Buzzing – Never ignore a buzzing sound from your AC, as this is a sign of an electrical problem that should be addressed immediately.
- Grinding – Grinding noises are never a good sign and indicate trouble with your outdoor fan motor (condenser fan), indoor fan motor (blower fan), or AC compressor.
- Hissing – A sustained hissing sound is a sign of a leak, whether it be an internal valve leak or a refrigerant leak. It could also indicate a problem with your compressor. If the hissing sound turns into a screeching sound, the problem has gotten worse and you need to shut off your air conditioner ASAP and call a repair technician.
When you experience annoying and loud noises coming from your air conditioner, you shouldn’t delay in calling for professional air conditioning service. Allowing your cooling system to continue running with a potential mechanical problem can dramatically increase the chance of catastrophic damage to your system, not to mention the inconvenience this will cause for you when your AC suffers a breakdown.
How to Fix a Noisy AC
There are many ways on how you can rectify the noise issues of your AC unit; however homeowners should start with changing the filters regularly. Filters can be clogged with pet hair, dust or cigarette smoke and this will soon result to noise problems.
When was the last time you changed your air filter? Learn more about our convenient filter home delivery services!
Having your unit inspected can also help fix the loud noise coming from within when the unit is in use. For serious strange and loud sounds, it would be best to contact ACS Home Services. Our AC technicians are equipped with the knowledge and expertise to deal with all your AC needs. Our team takes the time to carefully inspect your cooling unit and diagnose the issue. We then explain everything to you and will answer any questions you may have. This way you can make your HVAC decisions with confidence.
In the event that it wouldn’t be cost effective or feasible to repair your AC based on the nature of the problem, be open about the idea of complete replacement. Replacing an old and damaged unit can be the best way to solve a persistent noise problem and can provide a number of other benefits, including increased efficiency, lower energy bills, and greater reliability.
Feel free to contact ACS Home Services for more information and to schedule a service!